Trans and gender diverse people
- Trans and gender diverse people are those whose gender is different from what was presumed for them at birth.
- Rates of sexually transmitted infections (STIs) among trans and gender diverse people in Australia are largely unknown: limited data suggest these rates are higher than those of the general population and increase if there are other risk factors e.g. drug use, sex work, sex with men who have sex with men.
- Worldwide, trans women are at higher risk of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and people at risk of HIV should be offered pre-exposure prophylaxis (PREP).
- Trans and gender diverse people experience high rates of sexual assault therefore sensitive history taking is imperative.
- More information on the sexual health of trans and gender diverse people is available at TransHub.